Thursday, July 3, 2014

Music

July 3rd, 2014
8:58 pm
Fayetteville, Arkansas
Age: 20

Music

Over the last two days (since I posted my panic attack and my first trip to the doctors) I have received so much love and I want to thank everyone for that. You all mean the world to me. Thank you!

Now, enough sappy stuff. I noticed yesterday and they day before that that I instantly reached for music. I broke down and lost my mind and they first thing I did to try and fix it was listen to music. Music is to therapeutic. It has helped me with so much and it also helps ward off people when I really don't want to talk to them. 

In middle school and high school I played clarinet. That kind of music is different than the music most people think of when you talk about the magic. Because of band I made a lot of friends and it was my favorite class during the day. Band is where I got close to Zachary and we still talk music even though I am not in band anymore. It was such a satisfying thing to be able to read music. It was like knowing a foreign language or secret code that only other similarly cool people knew about. It opened up so many doors and it also helped me get over that HORRIBLE taste in music every middle schooler has. 

When I was that age, I would have killed anyone who said that. 

In high school and University especially music has become a calming tool and a coping mechanism. Nothing helps calm me down more than Ed Sheeran and Matt Nathanson. In what other way could I have Disney movies with me always if it wasn't on my iPod in the form of songs? How would I survive without Book of Mormon or RENT? 

Music also helps to form bonds. I am engaged to a man who listened to Disney music with me the first time we hung out. I shamelessly have jam secession in my car with my cousins and best friend while playing One Direction. THAT'S RIGHT! I AM A DIRECTIONER!!!!! 

I will also blame music as the reason why I can't remember math formulas and stuff like that. My brain is full of thousands of songs worth of lyrics. How can I possibly be excepted to memorize quadratic functions? 

When people tell me they don't really listen to music, or they don't like music I just shake my head. There is no way a person can't like music. You may not like what is played on the radio (I know I don't) but that isn't the only music out there. Experiment and just get on YouTube or iTunes. Ask friends. Music is a wonderful thing and it connects people from different places and different walks of life more than a lot of other things can. It provokes such powerful emotions (I may or may not be sobbing at my computer listening to "18th Floor Balcony" by Blue October. That is seriously a beautiful song), how can anyone not want that?

Music is awesome. It really is. 

I leave you lovelies with a picture, all my love, and the hope that you'll go listen to some song you really love. I would really love to know what your favorite songs are! Let me know.
Katie
That's the INSIDE of a cello . . . be impressed.



No comments:

Post a Comment