Friday, July 4, 2014

Diary of an Introvert - What That Really Means

July 4th, 2014
5:55 pm
Fayetteville, Arkansas
Age: 20

What does it really mean to be an Introvert?

This word, 'introvert', has always been something that I associated with being shy. When I was younger I thought that is was essentially the same thing. I always thought that introverts were those kids that didn't play on the play ground a recess. I thought they were the quiet ones in class who never asked you to be their partner, the ones you had to ask first. Part of that is true, it is very safe to say that people like that are introverts. However, that isn't the only kind.

Not all introverts are uncomfortable with social interaction. Not all are socially inept. Not all are reserved. 

Yes, most shy people are introverts. But not all introverts are shy. 

I am not a shy person. Ask my friends or by fiance or my family. I am not shy. I have no problem talking to new people or being a part of a debate. It is easy to make me laugh and I love spending time with people. I was in theatre for a huge part of high school. I was in seven productions and had a huge part in most of them. I can stand up on stage and belt out anything. I am still an Introvert. 

When I come home from school Sid can instantly see what kind of day I had. He knows if I had to talk to a lot of people that day because I will be silent. I will sit down on my computer and just scroll through various social media sites, he knows to leave me alone. I can only handle so much social interaction before I need some alone time. If I am forced to keep talking and interacting with other people I start to get exhausted and frustrated. 

There are other things about me that are obviously introverted characteristics. I hate parties, large gatherings of people with lots of noise makes me want to cry. I don't have very many close friends, I don't need very many to be happy. People think I am stand-offish and bitchy automatically, there is almost nothing I can do about that. I hate having plans, obligations make me panicky. It makes me feel like my whole day revolves around whatever happens to be planned and I can't stand that. 

This is the beginning of my Diary. I hope to document what social interactions and things like that do to me and how I recover so that people can see that Introverts are rude or shy or socially awkward. We are just comfortable alone or in silence, and there is nothing wrong with that. 

I leave you with a picture and all my love, 
Katie



Inspiring Music
"18th Floor Balcony" - Blue October
"Somebody Told Me" - The Killers
"Mr. Brightside" - The Killers
"Ready, Steady, Go" - L'Arc〜en〜Ciel
"Call Your Name" - Mica Caldito

No comments:

Post a Comment